Gas leaks pose a serious danger to homeowners. In addition to explosions, gas leaks can cause illness if the leak goes undetected. Numerous people fall sick annualy due to prolonged exposure to natural gas leaks and carbon monoxide build up in their home. It is imperative that homeowners now how to detect a gas leak in order to protect your family and property.
If you suspect a gas leak in your home, take IMMEDIATE action to avoid catastrophe.
If you smell gas, or the additive that is added to natural gas, you most likely have a gas leak. However, smelling gas fumes is not the only way ot detect a gas leak. Some slow leaks can casue carbon monoxide poisoning with symptoms of dizziness, headaches, difficulty breathing, nausea, and can manifest in more serious illnesses when prolonged…not to mention it is a HUGE fire hazard.
Sulfur Smell: A sulfuric or rotten egg smell is the most common and most noticeable sign of a gas leak. Because natural gas is odorless and colorless, utility companies add a chemical to the system so that customers can easily identify leaks.
Dead Areas in Landscaping: Natural gas lines are buried underground to deliver homeonwers gas to their home. These underground pipes are maintainged by city utility companies and usually follow property lines. A leaking natural gas line leak underground can cause the vegitation in the area to die due to lack of oxygenated dirt. After a heavy rain and pooling occurs, low spots that show signs of bubbling are a sure sign of an underground natural gas leak.
Hissing Leak Sounds: A hissing near natureal gas lines can be due to a gas leak. If you do find a hissing sound, take action immediately since the problem can be dangerous.
Soapy Water Test: Using soapy water to test potential leaking pipes or joints is a great way to detect a natural gas leak. Homeowners who can visually see the pipe, the leak could still be nearly undetectable. Gas could be slowly escaping form a corroded portion of pipe that may look old, but intact.
Natural gas leaks are VERY dangerous and need to be repaired safely and quickly by a professional plumber to remove safey dangers. Carbon monoxide leaks are just as deadly and homeowners should address every possible precaution when dealing with gas leaks.
If you suspect a gas leak in your home, immediately open windows and vacate the premises. Do not turn on any appliances, operate any electrical items, or start your vehicle. The slightest of spark can cause an explosion. Once you are a safe distance away from your home, contact y our local natural gas utility company and a professional plumber to detect the leak’s loaction and make any required repairs.